Monday, August 15, 2011

Susie Homemaker, that's me!

I can cook and cook well, BUT I don't cook often. Something about being on my feet and taking care of children probably takes the joy out of cooking for me. (I work at a preschool and my class is eight children large.)
Today though, I got out of work early and had all the stuff to make hummus so I decided to make my own homemade hummus- for the first time. The recipe I have and will be posting does not really have exact measurements so I will tell you how much I used in parentheses.
I was really jazzed to make it when I got home and went searching for my can opener. I thought that would be a quick find but I think with moving three times in less than a year will cause you to lose some things you would otherwise have. (can opener, hand mixer blades, water filters, etc.)
After I realized this, I thought well this is not going to happen today. I think got on facebook in somewhat of a bummed mood and saw that Krista French had just posted and knowing that she was probably home along with the fact that she lives just around the corner from me, I asked her if I could borrow hers. She okayed that idea so I ran up there and used her can opener and I was back in business to make my hummus. :) Thanks Krista.
Okay, so this is my recipe base.

1 big can chick peas (also known as garbanzo beans), drained (2- 15 oz cans)
1 big clove garlic
lemon juice (a couple tablespoons, or to taste)
a big spoonful of tahini or peanut butter
a drizzle of sesame oil if you have no tahini
a glug or two of olive oil
a big spoonful of plain yogurt (optional; Greek-style if you have it)
a pinch of cumin is good
a big pinch of salt
a roasted red pepper is good too
Whiz all in a food processor until smooth.
Okay, so I just kinda dumped everything in like it said, but you get the idea. 

This is what mine looks like. It is pretty good especially for my first try! :)
There are lots of ways to make variations of hummus. Get creative and let me know if you come up with good ones! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment